SAFEGUARDING AND WELL-BEING
Well-being Resources to support COVID-19
The following resources may be helpful in explaining and supporting your child’s concerns and worries during this unsettling period of time.
This is a new experience for all of us and it is important that we share our feelings and talk to each other. These resources may support you and your child with this and also give some additional ideas for children who have additional learning needs.
CAMHS have made available a number of general resources and some specific to COVID-19. These can be found by clicking the link below:
Our number one priority…
We pride ourselves on our Safeguarding procedures here at Upland. Every three weeks, our Safeguarding team meet to discuss priorities in our practices.
The team comprises of:
- Helen Millward (Deputy Head Teacher/Deputy Designated Safeguarding Lead)
- Beth McKenzie (Head Teacher)
- Roy Howard (Designated Safeguarding Lead)
- Jenny Grant (Trust Business Manager)
- David Berry (Office Manager)
- Alison Scott (Named Safeguarding Governor)
At the beginning of the academic year, the team set an action plan highlighting the priorities for that year. These targets are reviewed during every meeting. The team discuss everything about Safeguarding including:
- Child Protection,
- Health and Safety,
- Medical Needs Procedures and much more.
A priority this year has been to develop the community’s understanding of Safeguarding. As a result, we have run a number of workshops for the children and their families including:
- Video Gaming (parents/carers)
- Positive Parenting (parents/carers)
- Helping Hand (children)
- WE work for change (children)
- NSPCC (children and parents)
- Littlefish transition workshop (children)
- Local Ward Police (children)
Over the course of the year, the number of attendees from the local community has increased however, we will be continuing to work on this next academic year so that these workshops become part of our culture. For more information about our workshops please come in to the school office.
In January 2019, Bexley Local Authority auditted the school’s provision for safeguarding. During the audit, they reviewed a number of standards:
- Standard 1 – Leadership and Governance: The school has robust governance and lines of accountability to ensure that practice meets required standards. Senior Leaders are clear about their responsibilities and the steps being taken to develop good practice beyond the statutory minimum standards.
- Standard 2 – Policies and Procedures:-The school has policies and procedures in place that help to inform safeguarding practice. Policies are consistent with up to date statutory and local guidance. Policies are ratified by the GB and placed on the school’s website in line with statutory requirements.
- Standard 3: Safe Working Practice and Culture -The school provides a safe environment and promotes safe practice. A culture of vigilance, including addressing concerns about bullying, extremism and e-safety is evident.
Their findings were as follows:
- All statutory requirements are met. Leaders clearly make safeguarding a priority in this school. Systems are excellent and thorough. There is evidence of innovative and exemplary practice- most notably the very thorough recording of checks and visits made to school by governors and reporting to the safeguarding committee using specially devised pro-formas.
- Leaders are well informed about statutory requirements and all policies are up to date, reflecting current guidance. The school’s work on anti-bullying is exemplary – they deploy pupils as anti-bullying ambassadors.
- Pupils are extremely well informed about ways to keep themselves safe and convincing when they say this is a very safe school. Systems are thorough and a culture of safeguarding is very firmly embedded.
We are extremely proud of theses comments and will continue to develop our practices for the safety of our whole community.
Click below to see our Safeguarding Information poster:
Information for the community
Click below to find relevant and up-to-date information from National Online Safety:
Click below to find relevant and up-to-date information from NSPCC:
ga('create', 'UA-63149357-1', 'auto');